- [Results] The 6th Asi@Connect Meeting in Malaysia (21-25 July 2019) The Asi@Connect partners gathered together in Universiti Putra Malaysia for the 6th Asi@Connect meeting during 21-25 July 2019. The the 6th Asi@Connect Governor’s Meeting was held on 22 July 2019 participating 21 governors, the Delegation of the European Union to Malaysia, the presentative of Malaysia Government and the presentative of Korean government. In the Governors’ Meeting, Mr. Nicolas Dross, the Head of Trade and Economic Relations of the Delegation of the European Union to Malaysia, attended and addressed the importance of connectivity between Europe and Asia said; “Asi@Connect focuses on a comprehensive approach to strengthening the connectivity on the network and people to people. Also, the project focuses on the UN SDGs, and dedicates for better internet access to a rural and remote area as well as research and education connectivity.” [R.S.Mani, Chair of Governors(left) / Nicolas Dross, Representative of the EU (right)]The Governors’ got updates about the Asi@Connect project progress in the matters of financial management, sub-project implementations, and TEIN network management. Also, there was a special report from the external elevator, Dr. Bernadita Cardinas who had been conducting the project review for Asi@Connect project. [Yong Hwan Chung, President of TEIN*CC(left) / Douglas Harré, Vice-Chair of Steering Committee(right)] [Byung Kyu Kim, Executive Officer of TEIN*CC(left) / Bernadita Cardinas, EU external evaluator(right)]The 6th Asi@Connect Project meeting was followed just after the governors meeting, and there were activity updates on Asi@Connec sub-projects, TEIN network management, and NREN partners. * Asi@Connect Project meeting presentations (click each title)- TEIN connectivity - Asi@Connect Progress report on sub-projects - Asi@Connect Progress report on visibility & PR- BdREN update - DrukREN update- CamREN update - LERnet update- mmREN update - NREN update- PERN update- LEARN update- Sub-Project about NOC Operations (NKN)- Sub-Project about Haze Monitoring (ThaiREN)- Sub-Project about Intelligent Medical Service (KHU)- Sub-Project about Bridging Digital Divide (mmREN)TEIN community meets twice a year for Asi@Connect Governors’ and Project Meeting in conjunction with APAN meeting. This Malaysia meeting was graciously hosted by Universiti Putra Malaya. Our thanks go to all Asi@Connect partners, APAN and APAN48 Local committee. We promise to meet you all in Kathmandu, Nepal on March 2020 for the 7th Asi@Connect meeting. Thank you for supporting to make successful Asi@Connect meeting in Malaysia.
- Results of concept note evaluation for the 4th Call for Proposals TEIN*CC Opened the 4th Call for Proposals (CfP) for Asi@Connect, and during the 4th CfP submission period, 157 eligible proposals in total were received from 19 countries.As a result of 4th CfP concept notes evaluation, the evaluation committee decided to invite 35 concept notes to the full proposal evaluation stage as shown in the table below.The deadline for the submission of full proposal is 23:59(KST, GMT + 9:00) 6th November.Further inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org Country Organization Title Afghanistan Kandahar University Capacity Building Program of Campus Network Management, Monitoring, and Services Utilization for Kandahar University-Afghanistan. Afghanistan Gawharshad University Training on Linux System Administration for IT Technicians of Public Universities in Afghanistan Afghanistan IT Competence and Research Center of Afghanistan (ITCC) Eduroam Implementation and Training in AfgREN Australia None. Lead organisation to be explored during proposal phase. Asi@Connect Regional/Economy Needs Assessment (ARENA) Australia Australian/Australian Access Federation (AAF) Increasing Federated Identity, Roaming and E-infrastructure (iFIRE) Bangladesh Patuakhali Science and Technology University (PSTU) Workshop on Internet of Things (IoT) Based Network System and Security Management Bangladesh Department of Computer Science and Information Technology (CIT), Patuakhali Science and Technology University (PSTU) Workshop on Campus Network Operation and Security Management Bangladesh Institute of Information Technology, University of Dhaka Hands on Training on Fundamental Web and Application Security Issues for NREN Professionals Bangladesh Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Khulna University of Engineering and Technology Training on Software Defined Networking and Network Function Virtualization for NREN Network Engineers. Bhutan College of Science and Technology, Royal University of Bhutan (RUB) Implementation of e-Learning and associated Capacity Building for identified schools in Bhutan FRANCE University of Southern Queensland/Australia AgPractices&Domains platform – An Integrative System of Information and Modelling for Recommendations Domains of Agricultural Best Management Practices and Technologies India Centre For Cellular and Molecular Biology ( CSIR-CCMB) Network Infrastructure Upgrade India INFLIBNET Centre, An IUC of University Grants Commission Strengthen the Federation Identity Access Management and capacity development program for Research and Education institutes and Public Universities in India and Under Developed Countries i.e Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka India Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) Establish e Surgical technique learning centre at JIPMER Cambodia Institute of Technology of Cambodia (ITC) LandSAGE3 - Networked Collaborative Decision Support for Monitoring and Mitigation of Natural Disasters (Landslides, Mudflows, and Floods) in Southeastern Asia via the Cyber-enabled Collaboration, Analysis, Navigation, and Observation Environment Korea GIST (Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology) OF@TEIN++: Open Federated Playgrounds for AI-inspired SmartX Services Korea Seoul national university Bundang hospital Global Medical and Big data healthcare Education Centre program-master leaders class 2020 Korea Jeju National University Seamless and Smart Agriculture: ICT and Machine Learning Approach (SSAgri) Korea Seoul National University Expansion of Quality Care of Nuclear Medicine using Asi@Connect in Asian Countries Pakistan Pakistan Education & Research Network (PERN) Campus Network Design & Security Workshop Pakistan Department of Cyber security and Data science, Riphah Institute of Systems Engineering, Riphah international university, Islamabad, Pakistan Network Security Trainings and Workshops across Selected Women Universities in Pakistan Pakistan Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences & Technology, Topi 23640, Pakistan Disaster Management through an Integrated Wireless Emergency Alert System using Agent based Peer-to-Peer Coordination Framework Pakistan National University of Sciences and Technology, Islamabad Neonatal Pathogenome Signatures: Towards an improved diagnostic and surveillance knowledge base for infectious neonatal diseases in Pakistan Pakistan Department of Computer Science, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) A Cloud and Edge Computing based Framework for Value-added e-Agriculture Services Pakistan Centre for Advanced Electronics & Photovoltaic Engineering, International Islamic University, Islamabad (IIUI), Pakistan IOT-based Multisensory Platform for Sustainable Groundwater Management Pakistan International Islamic University, Islamabad Smart Feet (A Wearable Feet Protection Device) Pakistan Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) Real-time Spatiotemporal Emissions Mapping Pakistan Atta-ur-Rahman School of Applied Biosciences, National University of Sciences and Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan Establishment of a rapid molecular surveillance database system for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Pakistan University of Baltistan, Skardu Study of Glacier behavior through Remote Sensing and Image Processing Pakistan International Islamic University, Islamabad Integrated Smart Medical Services (ISMS): Bridging the allopathic, complementary and alternative therapies at smart phone; A pilot project for Hamletees of Town Lalliani, Pakistan Pakistan University of Agriculture Faisalabad Pakistan ePingER - Android based Internet Performance Monitoring Agent to measure & analyse the Digital Divide in remote areas of Pakistan Pakistan Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Narowal Campus, Pakistan ICT Research and Development for Rural/Remote Areas of Pakistan Singapore Singapore Advanced Research and Education Network Large Data Transfer Infrastructure and Training for Asi@Connect Thailand Hydro – Informatics Institute (HII), Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation (MHESI),Thailand Climate-Resilient Agriculture for Disaster Risk Reduction The USA ICT4D USA Internet of Things (IoT) Workshop in South Asia and South East Asia
- Asi@Connect project launched at national level in Bhutan To help bridge the digital divide across the Asia-Pacific region20 August 2019, Thimphu – The Bhutanese research and education community celebrated the official inauguration of Asi@Connect project. This project seamlessly extends and builds on the successful Trans-Eurasia Information Network (TEIN) initiative. This national launch event in Bhutan was hosted by the Department of Information Technology and Telecom (DITT) under the Ministry of Information & Communications (MoIC), the Asi@Connect partner in Bhutan. In addition to members from Asi@Connect, the launch included representative from the EU Delegation to India and Bhutan, the officials from the Royal Government of Bhutan and other Asi@Connect partners who welcomed the national kick-off of the Asi@Connect project in Bhutan and encouraged the R&E network community to build on achievements to date and further strengthen cooperation between Asia and Europe.Talking about the significance of this new project, H.E. Mr. Tomasz Kozlowski, Ambassador of the European Union to Bhutan pointed out that: "The EU has long supported people to people connectivity. Asi@Connect, co-funded by the EU, is an excellent example of one of the largest regional connectivity initiatives, with the research & education communities of 24 Asia-Pacific countries inter-connected by powerful high-capacity, high quality Internet linkages. Asi@Connect is a platform for promoting a secure, open and cooperative ICT and research environment between Asia and Europe. We are happy to extend the Asi@Connect initiative to Bhutan, which will allow its academic community to get access to the world-class research and education networks.”“The official launch of Asi@Connect in Bhutan marks the opening of a new chapter in research networking across nation,” the Department of Information Technology & Telecom said “Building on the considerable achievements of International R&E network connection via India’s NKN to TEIN, Asi@Connect will enable the connection of more universities and hospitals across Bhutan at higher speeds, roll out advanced network services and contribute to achieving development goals through improved access to education and research resources globally, thus bridging the digital divide in the region.”DITT, MoIC is representing Druk Research and Education Network (DrukREN), the national research and education network in Bhutan, as a participating member of TEIN initiatve since 2009. DrukREN started as a national project funded by Asian Development Bank (ADB) in 2014 to provide high speed network access to colleges under the Royal University of Bhutan (RUB) in Bhutan and selected hospitals. The project is implemented by the Department of Information Technology & Telecom, Ministry of Information & Communications to complement development philosophy of country – “To promote a green and self-reliant economy sustained by an IT enabled knowledge society guided by the philosophy of Gross National Happiness”. DrukREN became operational in April 2018. DrukREN is operated and managed by DITT, MoIC. DrukREN’s link towards TEIN and Global R&E Network commissioned in February 2019 via NKN link of India.Local Media link:http://www.kuenselonline.com/asiconnect-launched-to-enhance-drukren-connectivity/https://dailybhutan.com/article/co-funded-by-the-eu-asi-connect-project-launched-to-provide-high-speed-internet-for-bhutan-s-research-and-education-communitieshttp://www.bbs.bt/news/?p=119815
- Publication of Asi@Connect NREN Compendium 2018 It is our pleasure to notify the publication of Asi@Connect NREN Compendium 2018 Edition.It would not have been possible without your continuous support, collaboration, and encouragement. We also would like to thank the authors of the compendium from Bangladesh, Mr. A. K. M. Habibur Rahman, Mohammad Tawrit, and Sayedur Rahman, whose hard work enabled the project to come to fruition. The compendium will be sent to the EC, the Asi@Connect Governors and Steering Committee members, and it also will be shared with general public by uploading the compendium here on the Asi@Connect website. We hope that this compendium helps Asi@Connect community understand the current situations of each NREN and establish strategies for the best support plans. Thank you again for you support.
- 2019.09.23 ~ 2019.09.25 ○ When: 2019/9/23-25○ Where: University of Philippines Cebu○ Program: attachedMarine soundscape is a collection of environmental sound, biological sound, and anthropogenic noise. Recent studies show that the dynamics of marine ecosystem can be investigated by monitoring the change of marine soundscape. Asian Soundscape is the first open data platform of soundscape in Southeast Asia. A training workshop of soundscape information retrieval will be hold during Sep 23-25, 2019 under the support of Asi@Connect Project and University of Philippine Cebu. In this training workshop, marine ecological researchers from Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Philippines will be invited to discuss the application of soundscape information retrieval in the analysis of marine soundscape. Besides, this workshop will promote the open tool of soundscape information retrieval, and encourage future collaborations between ecological and information science.
- 2019.09.16 ~ 2019.09.20 ○ When: September 16 – 20, 2019○ Where: intERLab, AIT, Pathumthani , Thailand ○ Organizer: Thailand Research and Education NetworkThe SEA-HAZEMON@TEIN Workshop on Internet of Things (IoTs) and Air Pollution support by Asi@connect. The project under the 3rd call of Asi@Connect program organized by Thailand Research and Education Network.The workshop focuses on the advancement of Internet of Things (IoTs) technology with hands on lab sessions. A side project meeting is also organized for all SEA-HAZEMON@TEIN project members to report progress on sensor deployment and discuss about relevant project activities. To introduce IoT related technology, SEA-HAZEMON platform and deployment guidelines. As a kick-off activity of the project, the workshop will bring all members and partners together in order to familiarize everyone on the technology and the framework of the project, SEA-HAZEMON Platform will be introduced. Hands-on training on how to join the platform and basic data analysis and follow up the progress on the site survey activity and Network design to the SEA-HAZEMON testbed area. Background of IoT, network, cloud and fog architecture as well as the state-of-the-art updates will be presented by invited international collaborators. • The side meeting relevant to the SEA-HAZEMON@TEIN project: 16 September 2019 • The IoT workshop: 17-20 September 2019For more information please visit https://interlab.ait.ac.th/sea-hazemon-tein-workshop/
- 2019.09.06 ~ 2019.09.07 ○ Date: Sep 6th – 7th, 2019 ○ Venue: Hotel Royal Ambarrukmo Yogyakarta, Indonesia ○ Program: 2 Sessions Day 1- Medical Workshop Day 2 – Radiopharmacist, Technologist/Physicist Workshop ○ Participants: 8 Speakers from Korea (SNU, SNUH, CNUH) 3 Speakers from Indonesia Approximately 100 participants will join the workshop. ○ Purpose 1) To provide deep insight of nuclear medicine into the latest development in the field 2) To educate next-generation leaders and nuclear medicine scientists taking advantage of the connected infra structure of research/education networks
- 2019.09.09 ~ 2019.10.02 ○ When: September 9 Sep – 2 Oct 2019○ Organizer: BdRENThis course provides the foundational knowledge needed to ethically and effectively discover and exploit vulnerabilities in systems by assuming both the mindset and toolset of an attacker. The objective of conducting this course is not to create hackers but to protect the system from the perpetrators. It is taken for granted that without having the proper expertise of how hackers do hack, it is obvious that orchestrating remedial measures will be an unrealistic dream. Hence, to protect individual’s system and improve organization’s security, this course will work as a foundation. It will not be realistic to take that by doing a 4 (four) week course all the techniques and tools of hacking will be discovered. The motto of the course should not be over emphasized.Realistically, it is undeniable that by attending the course and following the assignments and contents the participants will have the interest and the confidence to understand and face the threat from preliminary level of hacking. Moreover, the course will arouse the interest in the participants to move forward and attend more advanced courses on ethical hacking.What you will learn?o To start thinking and looking at your network through the eyes of malicious attackers.o To understand the motivation of an attacker.o To protect infrastructure from not only outside attackers but also attackers within your company. The terminology used by attackerso The difference between "hacking" and "ethical hacking"o The phases of hackingo The types of attacks on a system, what skills an Ethical Hacker needs to obtaino Types of security policieso Why Ethical Hacking is essentialo How to roam around the hacking worldo To know who is a "hacker" and what are the biggest security attack vectorso How to identify vulnerableo How to defend attackso How to apply ethical hackingFor more information: https://dle.asiaconnect.bdren.net.bd/
- 2019.09.08 ~ 2019.09.09 ○ When: September 8-9, 2019○ Where: Movenpick Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand (collocated with APNIC48 Conference)○ Organizer: GÉANT TRANSITS Train the Trainer is the 5th and last activity of the CSIRT Capacity Building in Asia project, led by GÉANT. In the past two years, 60 funded participants from 15 beneficiary countries attended TRANSITS I trainings and shared their experiences at the CSIRT in Asia meetings, collocated with APAN Conferences. The final activity will bring 10 of the attendees that are planning to run CSIRT trainings themselves together for a bespoke Train the Trainer event, created especially for this project and taken the specifics of the region into consideration. The aim of this training is to provide the participants the support needed in designing, planning and executing a CSIRT training, using the TRANSITS I materials. The participants will be expected to actively take part, invited to contribute and co-create during the course.The training is designed and will be led by Irina Mikhailava, Head of Learning and Development (GÉANT).
- 2019.08.27 ~ 2019.08.28 ○ When: August 27 – 28, 2019 ○ Where: BdREN, Dhaka, Bangladesh○ Organizer: Bangladesh Research and Education Network (BdREN) This Workshop has been designed to collect feedback, analyze the feedbacks, assess the positives and negatives of thedigital seminars and distance learning courses that have been conducted and to find out ways of improvement, if any. Inaddition to that the proceedings of the digital seminar that took place will be placed to the audience by CEO, BdREN for open discussion. Moreover, the progress of the project so far will be discussed and scrutinized. At the same time, the roadmap of the project in accomplishing future activities will be discussed and feedback will be collected from the representatives of the beneficiary countries.The event will be participated by representatives from ThaiREN, NREN, DrukREN and LEARN. Instructor is Erik Kikkenborg from NORDUnet. In addition to that, there are 10 local participants in the workshop.Course on “Cyber Security” and certificates and rewards will be awarded to the recipients. For more information: https://dle.asiaconnect.bdren.net.bd/
- 2019.10.22 ~ 2019.10.22 ○ When: August 20 – 21, 2019 ○ Where: Le Meridien Hotel, Thimphu, Bhutan○ Organizer: DITT of MoIC Bhutan/DrukEN The Department of Information Technology and Telecom (DITT) under the Ministry of Information and Communications (MoIC) is very delighted and honored to host “Asi@Connect Launch Event and Technical Workshop on Network Management and Application” at Le Meridien in Thimphu, Bhutan from 20 to 21 August 2019.Asi@Connect Launch Event and Workshop on Network Management and Application will be held in the following format (see Programme Agenda):Launching ceremony of DrukREN Connectivity to TEIN and Global R&E Network will be observed on the 1st day followed by Techinical Session on Telemedicine. Live Streaming of Endoscopy will be arranged during the technical session.Asi@Connect Launch Event and Technical Workshop on Network Management and Application will conclude on the 2nd day with half-day programme on: “NREN Activities”, followed by session on Network Management.For Full program and event information: https://drukren.bt/asiconnect-project-bhutan-launch-event/
- 2019.08.15 ~ 2019.08.16 ○ When: August 15 – 16, 2019 ○ Where: Hilton Hanoi Opera Hotel & NASATI Office, Hanoi Vietnam○ Organizer: NASATI/VinaREN National Agency for Science and Technology Information(NASATI) will hold the Asi@Connect National Launch Event on 15-16 August 2019 in Hanoi. The launch event may representatives from the Delegation of European Union to Vietnam along with honorable guests of the diplomats from the Embassy of Asi@Connect partner countries. Also VinaREN members will take place together to celebrate local project inauguration. The event will combined with the Eduroam workshopto facilitate VinaREN and TEIN collaboration. For more information can be found at attached program.
[Prior Information Notice] Service contract for Asi@Connect connectivity - Mongolia
Asi@Connect project seeks international high capacity network links between the following t...
Results of concept note evaluation for the 4th Call for Proposals.
TEIN*CC Opened the 4th Call for Proposals (CfP) for Asi@Connect, and during the 4th CfP submission...
[Extension of Submission deadline] – Contract Notice for supply contract for the Delivery, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of Fiber
TEIN*CC is seeking offers for the provision, delivery, installation and support of optical cabl...
(Announcement)Postponement of 4th Call for Proposal concept note notification date: 16th September.
This is to inform you that due to a large number of applications received and tight schedule for t...
Asi@Conncet is co-funded by the European Union under
Grant contract ACA 2016/376-562. This website is the
sole responsibility of TEIN*CC and can in no way be
taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
The Ministry of Science and ICT of the Republic of Korea supports TEIN*Cooperation Center's operation and project costs.
The contents of this document are the sole responsibility of TEIN*CC and can under no circumstances be regarded as reflecting the position of the Ministry of Science and ICT of the Republic of Korea.
Seoul Metropolitan City Government has contributed
TEIN*Cooperation Center office, facilities and property