- Cloud computing to help the rice sector in the Philippines Dr. Ajay Kohli, IRRI Strategic Innovation Platform Leader; Mr. Arvin de Torres, AWS Public Sector Account Lead-Philippines; Dr. Joel Joseph Marciano, Jr., DOST-ASTI Director; Dr. Berta Miro, Post-doctoral Fellow at IRRI and Asi@Connect RICESTATS DATABASE Project Leader; Dr. Jean Balié, IRRI Agri-Food Policy Platform Leader and Asi@Connect RICESTATS DATABASE Principal Investigator(from L to R) 2 December 2019, Los Banos, Laguna - The agriculture and science community in the Philippines celebratedthe launch of Asi@Connect RICESTATS DATABASE: Leveraging the Cloud for Rice Statistics and Analytics.RICESTATS DATABASE, which is led by the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), intends to create a reference resource by using an ontology to combine data into a one-stop accessible database with a displayable dashboard for rice statistics. The platform runs on Amazon Web Services (AWS) such as AWS Glue, Athena, and S3 for data extraction, transformation, and loading while the transformed data is stored in AWS cloud warehouse Redshift. The database will contain data from existing household surveys conducted by IRRI globally and will include data from national bureaus and international organizations. Currently, such a consolidated database with disaggregated data, such as production by season and gender of household head up to the barangay level, does not exist for rice in Asia.In his keynote address, academician Dr. William Padolina said, “Without new knowledge especially in science and technology, without the new knowledge that will be generated, it will be difficult to make good decisions on conservation and resource use, something that is vital to the success of rice production.”The launch was hosted by IRRI, the Department of Science and Technology-Advanced Science and Technology Institute (DOST-ASTI), and AWS last November 29, 2019 at Dusit Thani Manila.DOST-ASTI Director Dr. Joel Joseph Marciano, Jr. emphasized the importance of this collaboration with IRRI and DOST-ASTI’s long-standing partnership, “The DOST-ASTI and IRRI, over the years, have established a good working relationship through our partnership in the areas of research networking, high performance computing, and cloud computing. IRRI is connected to the Philippine Research, Education, and Government Information Network (PREGINET), which is being managed by the DOST-ASTI.” PREGINET is the Philippines’ only National Research and Education Network (NREN) that is connected to a global REN, of which Asi@Connect is the Asia-Europe connection.IRRI Agri-Food Policy Platform Leader Dr. Jean Balié says of this project initiative, “IRRI believes that the Asi@Connect project can help fulfill a number of Sustainable Development Goals through improved access to education and research resources across the Asia-Pacific.”“RICESTATS DATABASE will enable the dissemination of comprehensive rice socio-economic data through an easily accessible database interface on a wider scale. The project will provide a unique resource for agricultural and social science researchers, academia, policy makers, donors, and investors in the rice sector and beyond,” IRRI Representative for the Philippines Dr. Romeo Recide added.Asi@Connect empowers Asian countries by enabling them to participate in collaborative programs like RICESTATS DATABASE. They also bridge the digital divide that exists within the global communities of research, education, and health.“The main objective of Asi@Connect, as successor to the TEIN program, is to provide and further develop a dedicated regional high capacity, high quality internet connectivity network for research and higher education, also leveraging the e-infrastructure developed for public service projects such as food security, health, ocean observation related to natural disasters, e-government, education and training, and cultural heritage with emphasis on applications of broad societal benefit,” said TEIN Cooperation Center Executive Officer Dr. ByungKyu Kim.News source : https://www.irri.org/news-and-events/news/cloud-computing-help-rice-sector-philippines?fbclid=IwAR2UkPLHcbqNkzRjhvOZvyefGXNgoVlUdM64-v3bsxFLmDzCO_DJSDKxEN4
- Master of Cybersecurity: Distance Master Program in Cybersecurity (The Second Semester) Second Semester of Master of Cybersecurity: Distance Master Program in Cybersecurity University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC)3rd July 2019 to 15th December 2019The second semester of Master of Cybersecurity degree program (conducted by the University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC)) started on the 3rd of July, 2019. All the lectures are delivering online by the international lecturer panel and hands-on sessions and examination to be held at the University of Colombo School of Computing, Sri Lanka from 23rd of November to 14th of December 2019.About Master of Cybersecurity: Distance Master Program in CybersecurityThe UCSC and Asi@Connect offer a distance International Master Program in Cybersecurity; which covers a broad spectrum of subjects in Network Security and Cybercrime Investigation with the support of European Commission funding.It offers postgraduate qualifications for staff members of National Research and Education Network (NREN) and universities of developing countries in the domain of network security and digital forensics. Sixteen (16) participants from NRENs in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, India, Thailand, Nepal and Sri Lanka are enrolled to follows this degree program.About First Semester Hands on sessions and Examinations of Master of Cybersecurity ProgramThe hands-on sessions and examinations for the first semester of Master of Cybersecurity program was conducted from 21st of April to 4th of May 2019. The eleven (11) students participated in the program and sat for their examinations. The participated students successfully completed their evaluation by obtaining a pass grade (C) and above for all subjects. Thus the program was successfully completed. About Second Semester Hands on sessions and Examinations of Master of Cybersecurity ProgramThe hands-on sessions and examinations for the second semester of Master of Cybersecurity program to be held at the University of Colombo School of Computing, Sri Lanka from 23rd of November to 14th of December 2019. All the students (14) who have registered for the program will be participated for hands-on sessions and examinations this time. Subject Code Subject Name MC2001 Database Security MC2002 Malware and Software Vulnerability Analysis MC2003 Network Security MC2004 Security in Mobile and Wireless Networks
- The 4th Call for Proposals closed (6 November 2019) The 4th Asi@Connect Call for Proposals(CFP) was closed as of 6 November 2019. The selected concept notes submitted their full proposals for Asi@Connect project. These proposals will go through the evaluation process and its results will come out in January 2020. Thank you for all your interest and support for Asi@Connect. The successful proposals will be conducted under the Asi@Connect objectives to benefit TEIN communities, typically including the least developing countries and to promote international collaboration using the TEIN network.Further information: email@example.com (TEL: +82-2-3153-7354)
- [Results] The 6th Asi@Connect Meeting in Malaysia (21-25 July 2019) The Asi@Connect partners gathered together in Universiti Putra Malaysia for the 6th Asi@Connect meeting during 21-25 July 2019. The the 6th Asi@Connect Governor’s Meeting was held on 22 July 2019 participating 21 governors, the Delegation of the European Union to Malaysia, the presentative of Malaysia Government and the presentative of Korean government. In the Governors’ Meeting, Mr. Nicolas Dross, the Head of Trade and Economic Relations of the Delegation of the European Union to Malaysia, attended and addressed the importance of connectivity between Europe and Asia said; “Asi@Connect focuses on a comprehensive approach to strengthening the connectivity on the network and people to people. Also, the project focuses on the UN SDGs, and dedicates for better internet access to a rural and remote area as well as research and education connectivity.” [R.S.Mani, Chair of Governors(left) / Nicolas Dross, Representative of the EU (right)]The Governors’ got updates about the Asi@Connect project progress in the matters of financial management, sub-project implementations, and TEIN network management. Also, there was a special report from the external elevator, Dr. Bernadita Cardinas who had been conducting the project review for Asi@Connect project. [Yong Hwan Chung, President of TEIN*CC(left) / Douglas Harré, Vice-Chair of Steering Committee(right)] [Byung Kyu Kim, Executive Officer of TEIN*CC(left) / Bernadita Cardinas, EU external evaluator(right)]The 6th Asi@Connect Project meeting was followed just after the governors meeting, and there were activity updates on Asi@Connec sub-projects, TEIN network management, and NREN partners. * Asi@Connect Project meeting presentations (click each title)- TEIN connectivity - Asi@Connect Progress report on sub-projects - Asi@Connect Progress report on visibility & PR- BdREN update - DrukREN update- CamREN update - LERnet update- mmREN update - NREN update- PERN update- LEARN update- Sub-Project about NOC Operations (NKN)- Sub-Project about Haze Monitoring (ThaiREN)- Sub-Project about Intelligent Medical Service (KHU)- Sub-Project about Bridging Digital Divide (mmREN)TEIN community meets twice a year for Asi@Connect Governors’ and Project Meeting in conjunction with APAN meeting. This Malaysia meeting was graciously hosted by Universiti Putra Malaya. Our thanks go to all Asi@Connect partners, APAN and APAN48 Local committee. We promise to meet you all in Kathmandu, Nepal on March 2020 for the 7th Asi@Connect meeting. Thank you for supporting to make successful Asi@Connect meeting in Malaysia.
- 2020.01.15 ~ 2020.01.17 O When: 15~17 January 2020O Where: RHR Hotel Kajang, MalaysiaO Event URL : http://indico3.twgrid.org/indico/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=921The goal of the event is to be a premier venue for researchers and practitioners to share new ideas, research results and development experiences in natural disasters monitoring and analysis in Malaysia.About UND projectUND(Understanding National Disaster) Project leverages the verified simulation facilities and regional e-Infrastructure, this project will engage more user communities and case studies from Asia countries, consequently, generate more inputs to the shared knowledge base.This project is led by NCU(National Chinese University) & AS(Academia Sinica) in Taiwan.
- 2020.01.11 ~ 2020.02.29 Date: 11th January 2020 to 29th February 2020Time: 16:00-18:00 [GMT+6]Where: Virtual (Using Zoom Platform). The Instructor will be at UCSC, Sri Lanka and participants from Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Philippines, Pakistan and Sri Lanka will be attending the course online.Overview: The concepts and scientific thinking in Cryptography will be explored within the course and the student will be studying cryptographic algorithms and protocols. This course will help to build cryptography knowledge and can be used in other cybersecurity areas.Certificate/Award:• Digital Certificate will be delivered to successful Candidates.• Top 10 performer will receive award 100 Euro each.Topics to be covered: Week Topic(s) Date Time (GMT+6) Hours 1 Introduction to Cryptographic Systems 11 January 2020 16:00~18:00 2 2 Hash Functions 18 January 2020 16:00~18:00 2 3 Block Ciphers 25 January 2020 16:00~18:00 2 4 Block Ciphers Operational Modes 01 February 2020 16:00~18:00 2 5 Properties of Arithmetic Operations 08 February 2020 16:00~18:00 2 6 Public Key Cryptography 15 February 2020 16:00~18:00 2 7 Key Management Protocols 22 February 2020 16:00~18:00 2 8 Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) 29 February 2020 16:00~18:00 2 Instructor: Prof. Dr. KASUN DE ZOYSAUniversity of Colombo School of Computing,35, Reid Avenue, Colombo 7, Sri LankaParticipants: Country Participant Bangladesh 364 Bhutan 14 Nepal 52 Sri Lanka 16 Philippine 22 Pakistan 1 India 1 Total 470 For Details: https://dle.asiaconnect.bdren.net.bd/upcoming_event/practical-cryptography/
- 2020.01.11 ~ 2020.01.11 ○ When: January 11, 2020 ○ Where: Novotel Yangon Max, Myanmar○ Organizer: mmREN/UCSYAsi@Connect local launch is a major milestone for mmREN, as this is our core link to the Academic Internet as well as one of our direct international links in Myanmar Network. During this local launching ceremony, we are planning to bring up the officials of Myanmar Government, delegates from the European Union, and the Myanmar community to one stage. The event aims to provide all interested stakeholders with a key opportunity to present, share, meet and discuss on: • Recent research and development applications/results on RENs• Experiences and learned lessons in research and education with the other members• New ideas of applications on research and education networks• Future development of advanced research and education networks in Myanmar• Collaborations with international initiatives among the TEIN-connected participating institutes
- 2019.11.25 ~ 2019.12.28 When: 25~28 November, 2019.Where: UGC Auditorium, UGC Bhaban, Agargaon, Dhaka – 1207, BangladeshWorkshop on Virtualization and Cloud Computing for NREN Engineers is going to take place at BdREN under Asi@Connect. The objective of the workshop is to train the NREN engineers on implementation and administration of cloud system and provide respective services to the member institutions. First two days of the program, the certified experienced trainer will share details theoretical knowledge on Cloud Computing System Architecture, equipment and virtualization technologies and VMware Horizon. Participants will be enlightened by the respective hands-on lab experience. BdREN engineer will explain the Data Center virtualization technologies (Compute virtualization, Network virtualization and Storage virtualization) and demonstrate installation and operation of Openstack cloud environment. BdREN is providing Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Storage as a Service and Backup as a Service to its member institution and the details of its administration and operation will be demonstrated during this workshop including its Data Loss Prevention(DLP) strategy. Through this workshop, participants will be benefitted experiencing the lab and live operational experience on virtualization and cloud computing. Topic of Virtualization and Cloud Computing for NREN EngineersIntroduction to Virtualization and Cloud ComputingCloud System Architecture and EquipmentIntroduction to Virtualization Technology: VMware HorizonBdREN Cloud System and Data Center visit at UGCCreating and Managing Virtual machinesVMware Horizon Hands-on-Lab ExercisevSphere VMware Horizon Desktops Horizon Client OptionsCreating Automated Pools of Full Virtual MachinesManaging VMware Horizon Authentication and SecurityData Centre Virtualization (Compute and Network)Data Centre Virtualization (Storage and SAN)Cloud System AdministrationOverview of Cloud ComputingIntroduction of OpenStackOpenStack LabIntroduction to Cloud Data Protector and BackupHP Data Protector and Backup library (Demonstration)
- 2019.12.18 ~ 2019.12.19 Progress and Challenges in Introducing Eduroam and Federated Identity under Asi@Connect/GEANTo Date: 18-19 December 2019o Venue: Virtual (Using Zoom Platform)o OverviewDistinguished speakers from NRENs of Asi@Connect and GEANTT will speak about the progresses they have attained in introducing eduroam and Federated Identity in their countries. They will present their statistics of coverage of eduroam in terms of number of institutes, number of sites, number of Access Points and number of users. Also expected are their future plan (it may be next 3 years) in increasing the coverage of eduroam. Moreover, speakers from countries where Identity Federation is already established will spell out the challenges they faced in building the federation and also the challenges they are facing at the moment. It is solicited from their demonstration that the scope and roadmap of the federation will be highlighted. In case of participating in eduGain the speakers may come out with their progress and plan. If there is any suggestion from the experts about establishing federation for the budding NRENs, that will also be spawned out.o Eduroam: - Coverage: No of Institutions, No of Hotspots, No of users - Authentication Statistics: Local and International, month-wise from introduction of service - Architecture: with Up-streams and Down-streams - Management: - Security: Future Plan and Roadmap: Any plan to increase the coverage to designated hotspots like airports, restaurants, hotels and otherso Identity Federation: - Existing/Proposed Architecture - Challenge in Implementation - Planned services under federation - How many federations in a country? What are the norms? - Inter-federation communication – Challenges, Opportunities and Outcomeso Full program : attached document
- 2019.12.10 ~ 2019.12.12 o When: 10-12 December, 2019o Where: Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesho Organizer: Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) and BdRENAbout programThe workshop will focus on installation, operation and management of the networks and computer systems that normally helps information flowing in a computer network. As such, the workshop will prepare the trainees to operate and maintain network hardware and software, to troubleshoot network problems, and to ensure network security, availability & performance standards. The course has been designed to train the trainees in three different ways; Building Theoretical Knowledge, Demonstration of Configuration and pure Hands-on activities. The objective is to give the trainees a complete picture and through concept about the functionality as well as configuration of network services and to instill confidence within the trainees to work on the attained knowledge by themselves once they complete the training and go back to their job environment. Expected OutcomesIt is believed that on completion of this workshop the trainees will gain a clear concept about Network Service Configuration and Trouble-shooting, Virtualization, Network Management as well as Network Security.
- 2019.12.11 ~ 2019.12.13 o Date : 2019. 12.11-13 (tentatively full 3 days)o Venue : National University of Laos(NUOL), Vientien, LaosIoTcloudServe@TEIN Collaboration Workshop II will be organised at the National University of Laos, from 11-13 December 2019. This workshop is the internationally collaborative efforts from our TEIN community in IoTcloudServe@TEIN project.The aim is to enhance our Laos partners with necessary know-hows for completing and enhancing their ongoing Smart-Agriculture@NUOL demo site. The IoTcloudServe@TEIN project is sponsored by TEIN*CC under the Asi@Connect WP4. The main topics for this training are as follows:• Docker, Container, Kubernetes Cluster Technologies in order to understand and deploy basic services in IoTcloudServe@TEIN platform now operable at ThaiREN.• Machine Learning for Smart Agriculture@NUOLFor more information: (Click)
- 2019.12.03 ~ 2019.12.05 ㅇ Venue: Kathmandu, Nepalㅇ Date: 03-05 December 2019Train The Trainer Workshop TTT-2 is going to be held at Kathmandu, Nepal from December 03 to December 05, 2019. It will be a 3(three) day workshop in which we are planning to1. Set up identity registry (Jagger) with registering SPs and IDPs2. Install and Configure LDAP and IDP Servers.3. Setting up Satosa proxy for Zoom.4. Zoom SSO configuration for integration.A unique training program, probably one of its kind, which combines both virtual and physical session. Virtual Sessions will be conducted to prepare the trainees about the preparatory works and the Physical Session will take place to give the final touch. Virtual Sessions: Sl Topic Date Time [GMT+6] 1 Introductory Session November 14, 2019 10:00~11:00 2 Setup identity registry (Jagger) November 19, 2019 10:00~12:00 Institutional Identity Access Management (Optional) 3 Install and Configure LDAP November 21, 2019 10:00~12:00 Setting UP LDAP GUIs 4 Setup IDP Servers November 26, 2019 10:00~12:00 Setup Shibboleth SP Setup Discovery Service (EDS) Physical Sessions in Kathmandu: 5 Setting up Satosa proxy for Zoom 6 Zoom SSO configuration for integration and testing
Supply Contract Notice – Delivery, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of Fiber Optic Cabling (The Philippines)
TEIN*CC is seeking offers for the provision, delivery, installation and support of optical cabl...
The 4th Call for Proposals closed (6 November 2019)
The 4th Asi@Connect Call for Proposals(CFP) was closed as of 6 November 2019. The selected conce...
[Contract Notice] Service contract for Asi@Connect connectivity - Mongolia
The Asi@Connect project seeks international dedicated point-to-point connectivity for Mongoli...
[Prior Information Notice] Service contract for Asi@Connect connectivity - Mongolia
Asi@Connect project seeks international high capacity network links between the following t...
Asi@Conncet is co-funded by the European Union under
Grant contract ACA 2016/376-562. This website is the
sole responsibility of TEIN*CC and can in no way be
taken to reflect the views of the European Union.
The Ministry of Science and ICT of the Republic of Korea supports TEIN*Cooperation Center's operation and project costs.
The contents of this document are the sole responsibility of TEIN*CC and can under no circumstances be regarded as reflecting the position of the Ministry of Science and ICT of the Republic of Korea.
Seoul Metropolitan City Government has contributed
TEIN*Cooperation Center office, facilities and property