Asi@Connect is continuing ASEM's success story addressing the themes of the ASEM initiative. Its overall and specific objectives are as follows:
- increase internet connectivity for research and education between Asia and Europe via high-speed direct links to GÉANT.
- improve intra-regional connectivity across Asia-Pacific with upgraded link capacities
- support UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through improved access to education and research resources
- promote international R&E collaboration between Asian and European partners
- expand geographical coverage of the network to include other Asian countries
- promote the broadening of SDGs relevant user applications supported by the TEIN network, and increase the use of the TEIN network.
- enhance human capacity of the Asi@Connect partners
By providing the Asia-Pacific countries with a gateway for global research and education collaborations, Asi@Connect empowers developing Asian countries to participate in collaborative programmes and bridges the digital divide that exists within the global communities of research, education and health.
Facilitate utilization of
the TEIN network
Global ICT testbed for new
Reinforce foundation of
the TEIN network
Increasing network capacity and
reinforcing Internet service quality
Increasing coperation between
Asia & Europe through expanding
Bridge the digital divide
Balanced development in Asia
region with trainings and assistance
- Facilitate utilization of the TEIN network
Based on the existing TEIN network, support global interconnections, reinforce mutual assistance with ASEM, ASEAN, and APAN to facilitate R&E development across Asia-Pacific. At the same time, collaborate with Europe, North America, Japan etc. to pursue the development of Future Internet technologies including SDN (Software Defined Networking) and M2M (Machine to Machine) and a global testbed to support application services such as e-learning, e-Governance, etc.
- Reinforce foundation of the TEIN network
Procure and deploy a high speed and large capacity network backbone, and conduct feasibility studies to further expand the geographical footprint. Moreover, guarantee service quality of TEIN connections, reinforce security function, and strengthen traffic monitoring and engineering functions of the Network Operating Center (NOC) to optimize network operations.
- Global cooperation
Pursue expansion as international research & education network by collaborations with other regional networks and increasing utilization of the TEIN network.
- Bridge the digital divide
Identify suitable trainings for Asi@Connect partners in the Asia-Pacific region and facilitate information sharing and exchange through organizing and/or supporting IT related workshops and conferences. Moreover, reinforce the collaboration with partners from the developing countries through co-hosting training programmes and providing funding support in order to promote a balanced development of ICT (Information & Communication Technology), nurture talents in IT and solve gaps in information, etc.